Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Race Recap - Charles Harris 10k


I know, I have been such a bad blogger. I have a lot of excuses, like my kids have been sick (the little guy was just diagnosed with a double ear infection), I have been doing a lot of cooking, but no new/unique recipes (try Peas and Thank You - that is where most of recipes are coming from), hubby's been working like a dog, so I haven't had much free time, I am trying to get as many training runs as possible with such little time, . . . See I have a lot of excuses.

Well my training runs have paid off, because I PR'ed on Sat. Yep, I broke 50 minutes On my 10k. My brother-in-law ran this race last year and said how easy it was. Then I read on another blog about how it was one of the best Peactree qualifying races, and it was close to my house, so I convinced my brother-in-law, and a few others to run.

The morning started with picking up my brother-in-law and heading to the start. We actually saw them setting up the course as we drove up, so I knew exactly what the route was. We grabbed our numbers, and he took me out to do a nice warm-up. We then headed to the start. He went up front and I stayed in the middle. I ran into Runblondie before the start and did a quick hello, and then we were off.

The first mile I ran a 7:39. Holy guacamole! I knew I needed to average 8:03 to break 50 min. The second mile was 8:12, the rest were around 8 min. I could see the finish line for what felt like forever before actually crossing it. I finished in 49:31 and my Garmin clocked it at 6.25 miles, so I averaged 7:56 minute miles. I couldn't believe it, a sub 8 minute average. I felt like a real runner at that point. That runner's high stayed with me all weekend. I will say I didn't love my finish, the last 2 little hills weren't easy. But there is always something I can find fault with when it comes to me.
My next race will be Publix Half Marathon. Less than 3 weeks away. I am feeling strong.  My workouts are going pretty well.  I have been under the weather and little and the kids have been just out right sick, so I haven't gotten every training run in, but after last weekend's race, I am feeling good and can't wait to race again.

Race Results
Chip Time:  49:31
Overall Women's Place: 85/367
Age Group Finish:  17/58
Pace: 7:56

4 comments: