Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Homemade Protein Bars

Adam needs something fast in the mornings. He eats breakfast in the care on his way to work. We both don't like the idea of him eating processed bars every morning so I have been finding recipes that I can make and keep in the freezer and he can grab and go. I do make him protein shakes in the mornings once a week or so, but it's often tough because we both prefer the ones that take a little more time. I made him some breakfast cookies that a friend of mine introduced me to and he has loved them. I was looking to try something different. I came across an old recipe but remembered it didn't turn out as well as I had hoped last time, so this time I made some changes and made it my own. Here is what I came up with.


Ingredients


1/2 cup natural crunchy peanut butter
2 cups rolled oats
4 scoops protein powder (I used chocolate)
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/3 - 1/2 cup warm water
Non-stick cooking spray

Directions

  1. Heat peanut butter in microwave for 20 seconds to make it easier to mix.
  2. Combine the oats, protein powder, and dried cranberries to peanut butter.
  3. Slowly add warm water (you might not need the whole 1/2 cup) and continue to mix.
  4. Place on wax paper and spray spatula with cooking spray and flatten out (1/4 inch thick).
  5. Refrigerate for 1 hour and then cut into 8 pieces.
  6. Freeze and grab when you are ready.

Here is how they looked.






Nutritional Information

Calories: 235

Total Fat: 10.8g

Saturated Fat: 1.7g

Carbs: 23g

Fiber: 5.4g

Sugar: 5.1g

Protein: 13g

4 comments:

  1. they look great and easy. How was the consistency?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are a little sticky, but pretty good. Adam is not complaining so I give them a thumbs up. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What type of protein powder do you recommend?

    I tried the recipe this weekend, and used a scoop of Vanilla Muscle Milk because that's what we had in the house. It made them a little chalky, so I need to try something else. They were still tasty though, and the recipe couldn't be any simpler. I'll definitely be adding it into the rotation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used Designer Whey Protein Powder (chocolate). It's a little more expensive, but we don't use it a lot, but it does make a difference.

    ReplyDelete