Monday, September 19, 2011

One pot meal and August running numbers

So for all you busy people who don't have time to do a lot of dishes, here is a take on fried rice that only requires one pot.  It is also nice because it's a good clean out the fridge meal as well.

My One Pot Fried Rice

Ingredients
1 T dark sesame oil
3-4 cups fresh veggies, chopped (I used carrots, onions, broccoli, celery and red bell peppers) - frozen could be used as well
1 cup uncooked brown rice
2 cups water (or vegetable stock)
3 T soy sauce
A couple of dashes of hot sauce
1 T toasted sesame seeds
Seitan chick'n strips or rotisserie chicken (optional)

Directions
  1. Heat oil on medium high heat in a large pan with high enough sides.
  2. Add chopped veggies and saute for 4-5 minutes.
  3. Add uncooked rice and toast the rice or another 4-5 minutes, until it starts to turn brown.
  4. Add water stir to combine and cover.  If you have real brown rice, it will take 30-40 minutes to cook the rice.  If you have parboil, it will take significantly less time.  Stir occasionally. 
  5. Remove lid and stir.  Add soy sauce, hot sauce, and sesame seeds in.  You can also add in your protein now, or just add it to the plate.
Serves 4. 

Lots of colorful veggies

Cooking the rice in the sauteed veggies save you on number of pots to clean.

Dinner is served!  I added seitan to mine and the hubs got rotisserie chicken.

Running Numbers
I am such a numbers person that I have to tally up my miles at the end of the month.  Despite the lack of sleep and not feeling 100%, I surpassed July's number (72. something ) in August with 75.29 (and one week I only ran 4.04 miles).  I hope to get up over 100 soon.  I just the little guy to do some sleeping (we did pretty well on Friday and Saturday, but he made me pay last night, it was bad).

Do you have any one pot wonders?  Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment