Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Tough Mudder anyone?


So I read across this race in my Runner's World mag and thought, could I do this?  One of my hopes for 2012 is do some more races.  I know it was hard with the little man coming in March and then not sleeping until Dec., so my fall races were slimmer than I had hoped.  Ideally, I would like to do one race a month (on average).  This race is in Feb.  It's 10-12 miles but has lots of difficult obstacles.  That is where the problem runs in.  I can run the distance, but do I have the strength to complete the obstacles?  I don't have much time to train either.  Have you run this race before?  How "tough" do you need to be?

My running is improving now that I am sleeping.  But I don't do a lot of strength training (am adding more abs in the new year though).  I do yoga but usually only a couple times a month.  Maybe I would do more if I was training for something.  I also tote a 9 month old around all day.  The race says you should be able to do 25 push-ups (could get there easily) and at least 6 pull-ups (hello hips).  Yeah, I will probably never be able to do 6 pull-ups again.  So I have a lot of doubts.  I also am not sure I have someone to run with.  My brother-in-law is interested but he is in such good shape that he might really try and compete (top 5% get to go to nationals).  I know there is a lot of camaraderie so I wouldn't be a lone but it would be nice to run it with someone. 

Normally, I would just sign up and then start training but the editorial director at Livestrong (if you don't currently read his blog, you should, he has some really good insight) ran it and made it sound really tough (and he really works out, like at a gym and stuff). 

So this is where I am.  If you have run the race, let me know your thoughts.  What kind of training did you do?  How long did you train?  Should I go for it or wait another year before trying it? 

1 comment:

  1. your family picture is great, do you also have a best jogging stroller for your baby? i think you must have because it will help you most of the time.

    ReplyDelete