Friday, July 16, 2010

What to do with all those blueberries

Well I knew with almost 16 cups of blueberries that we wouldn't be able to finish them before they turned, so I put about 8 cups in the freezer. I read about freezing berries, and it's very simple. All you have to do is wash them, place them on a cookie sheet on one layer, and then put them in the freezer. Then when they freeze, they won't all be clumped together. Then you can transfer them into a storage bag.


I also made some muffins. I tweaked a couple of different recipes and came up with my own (recipe below). I did double the amount of blueberries though, so I knew they would be yummy! Here is my dough after I mixed in the blueberries.


Going into the oven (350).


My muffins cooling - look at all those blueberries.

Jaime's Blueberry Muffin recipe
Ingredients
1.25 c flour
.75 c ww flour
.5 c sugar
2t baking soda
.25t salt
.5 c light sour cream
.25 c canola oil
.25 c 1% milk
1t vanilla extract
2 eggs
2 c blueberries
Directions
Preheat oven to 350.
Spray muffin tin.
Combine flour through salt in large bowl and whisk.
Make well in middle.
Combine sour cream through eggs in well. Incorporate flour with whisk.
Spoon in blueberries.
Place in tin.
Cook for 20-25 minutes.

Each muffin has:
167 calories
6.5g fat
1.6g saturated fat
30mg chol
239mg sodium
24.4g carbs
1.0g fiber
9.3g sugar
3.2g protein
I did notice that my muffins were not as moist as I like them, so if do this again with another batch of blueberries, I will probably substitute the oil for either 1/3 cup applesauce or 1/3 cup nonfat plain yogurt. That would reduce the calories down to 135 and the fat down to around 2 grams.

No comments:

Post a Comment