Thursday, September 16, 2010

Overnight Oats

So I haven't tried overnight oats yet. I don't know why; I guess I just thought I would mess them up and then the family wouldn't have any breakfast to eat. Well I did some research for recipes and found what I thought it would work. So Sunday night, I wiped up some overnight oats for everyone. I used 1/2 cup oats, 1/2 cup milk, and 1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt for Adam, 1/3 cups for me, and 1/4 cups for Hope. Adam had half a scoop of chocolate protein powder, and Hope and I had 1/2 banana each and 1/4 cup blueberries in ours.

Here is a picture of all 3 before I placed them in the fridge.

A close up of mine before I put it in the refrigerator.

The next morning - Adam's, I added 1 T natural peanut butter to his.


The finished product (Adam's). I also added a little swirl of agave nectar to Adam's. He likes his sugar. Hope and I don't do added sugar.


Mine - right before I was going to dig in.


So I already like oatmeal, but this was really good too. I wish I had tried this early this summer. You can eat it cold or room temperature, and this would have been great to eat after a morning run. My only complaint was it did have a little too much tang (from the nonfat yogurt) and a little too soupy for me. I also wish I had added almonds to mine, but the possibilities are endless as far as mix-ins.
Jaime's Overnight Oats Recipe
Ingredients:
1/3 cup rolled oats
1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup plain yogurt
Directions:
Combine all ingredients and mix. Add any mix-in you might want (except for ones that you want to stay crunchy like almonds or cereal).
Place in the refrigerator overnight.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment