Wednesday, September 29, 2010

National Clean Eating Day - Oct. 1

If you have visited other blogs, or wondered onto The Gracious Pantry, then you have seen her request to Congress to establish National Clean Eating Day.  I heard about this on Monday and have started doing some research on this topic.  I actually have The Eat-Clean Diet book that I got a while ago when I saw I could get it for $5.00 and free shipping.  I pulled it out and started going through it, as well as searching on the internet (it's such a great thing).  I don't think the U.S. is quite ready for a National Clean Eating Day because it's such a gray area IMO at least.  Some sites say no cheese, milk, and pasta.  Some say lowfat cheese, skim milk, and whole wheat or whole grain pasta.  With all this conflicting information, what is clean eating???  How can you say 93% fat free ground beef is clean and 80% fat free ground beef isn't?  They are both natural.  I mean I know you want to eat less fat, but how does that go into clean eating?

Well on Friday, I will be eating clean to support the day.  I typically eat clean, but since being pregnant, my hormones sometime want Baked Cheetos (hey, I got the baked ones).  But I will be eating clean according to my definition of clean eating.  Mine definition includes:

Cheeses that are naturally lower in fat like parmesan cheese
Skim or lowfat milk or unsweetened soy or almond milk
Plain lowfat yogurt
Lowfat cottage cheese (no salt added)
Fruits
Vegetables
Tofu
Soy protein powder
Nuts and natural nut butters
Whole grains like quinoa, couscous and brown rice
Olive and canola oil
Sprouted grain bread
Brown rice cakes
Beans and Legumes (drained and rinsed if canned)
Rolled oats
Ground flaxseed
Hummus with minimal ingredients
Larabars
Eggs and egg whites (the book says only the whites because the yolks contain fat, but other nutritionists show how beneficial the yolks are)
Air popped popcorn

For those meat eaters,
Naturally lean chicken, turkey, beef, and fish.

My plan is to document my meal on Friday and post it for you to see how I did.  Like I said, I typically eat pretty clean, but being pregnant is making it harder (like ice cream). 

If you plan to eat clean on Friday, let me know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment