Thursday, November 18, 2010

Homemade Apple Chips

Well since I have (had) so many apples, I was looking for some new ways to use and cook with apples.  I came across this post from Oh She Glows and thought I had to try this. 

Ingredients:
3 apples (I used Mutsu, but Angela used Granny Smith, any good tart apple would be fine)
2 teaspoon lemon juice
1.5 tablespoon organic sugar
2 teaspoon cinnamon
Sprinkle of kosher salt

Directions:
Preheat oven as low as it will go.  Mine was 200 degrees. 
Line baking sheet with parchment or aluminum foil. 
Mix sugar and cinnamon together in a small bowl.
Slice apples very thinly, 1/4-1/8 inch wide.
Place all apple slices in a large bowl.
Pour lemon juice over apple slices and mix to incorporate the juice with all of the apple slices.
Line apple slices on baking sheet.
Sprinkle with sugar/cinnamon mixutre.
Sprinkle with a kosher salt.
Bake for 3.5-4 hours, turning apple slices every 30 minutes. 
When they curve up, they are ready.  For me, it was 3.5 hours on a 200 degree oven. 

My cinnamon mixture

Slicing apples, you can use a mandelin if you have one, but a sharp knife worked for me.

All my apples with lemon juice

Lined with parchment paper

You can see the salt, it's optional, but it was a nice touch.

The finished product.  Adam said this was one of his favorite fall snacks.  We are going to make these again.
Enjoy this yummy snack!

No comments:

Post a Comment