Sunday, November 28, 2010

My Thanksgiving Holiday

Well as much as I would like to say that my Thanksgiving Holiday was fun and relaxing, I can't.  I have not been feeling well since Wednesday.  Let me give you the recap.

Well I had planned to take off the Wednesday before Thanksgiving off of work so I could do some cooking.  Well I ended up having to go to DC for the day for work. Ugh, I know.

Wednesday - My alarm went off at 4:00am so I could be at the airport in time for my 6:15am flight to DC.  I did go ahead and warn hubby that I would be getting a half caf cappuccino (I haven't had caffeine since I found out I was pregnant).  He joked that I didn't love this baby as much as Hope since I was going to drink caffeine knowingly.  Ha ha ha.  So I made it through security with no problems and luckily there was a Starbucks on the way to my gate.  Score!  I got my coffee and headed to my gate.  Made it to DC with no problems and onto my meeting.  I am not one to ask for special treatment for being pregnant, so I was a little nervous about breaking out snacks during the meeting, but the meeting was from 9am-1pm with no lunch break, and I was hungry at 4am when my alarm went off so I ate breakfast on the way to the airport (Zone Bar, my favorite go to packaged bar breakfast).  Well, I saw someone else break out a snack and she definitely wasn't pregnant (very skinny), so I decided I could too without too much attention.  I had a lot of snacks depending on my cravings and calorie needs.  I decided that since lunch was far off, I was going to eat one of my higher calorie snacks, homemade trail mix (dried cherries, pecans, and walnuts).  I was starving, but the weird thing was that I couldn't finish them, not even close before I became full.  Well about 45 minutes later, I was very light headed (like from being hungry) but didn't feel that hungry.  I thought maybe I needed some sugar so I had a few yogurt covered pretzels.  I felt a little better.  I got to the airport and knew my options for food were limited so I had an egg and cheese sandwich on a bagel at Eintein's with an apple and a sprite. I felt grossy full and then had indigestion the rest of the day and night.  Once home, I only could get down some cereal the rest of the night. 

Thursday (aka Thanksgiving Day) - I woke at 3am with severe upper abdominal pain.  I rolled around in bed for a while.  Hope got up at 7:00am, but Adam told me to stay in bed and rest.  I slept a little, but then got up at 8:30am, still having some pain.  I made my way to the couch downstairs and told Adam that my stomach pains felt like when you have a stomach bug, but I wasn't nauseous.  I tried to rest some more, but my stomach hurt too much.  Adam made his famous french toast, and I was able to eat a little, but not much.  I finally got Hope down for a nap when I then tried to nap again, but my stomach just hurt too bad.  I decided to get up then and start my cooking (apple, squash, and leek soup (from Vegetarian Times Nov/Dec issue), apple walnut salad with cranberry vinaigrette (my recipe is slightly different but very similar) and pumpkin bread pudding with homemade dulce de leche ).  Adam argued with me to rest but I couldn't and I thought needed to get these foods done (little did I know there was going to be so much food there, no one would have noticed if I had made anything or not).  Adam helped with everything and we got it done so I could rest for all of 15 minutes before we needed to get ready.  Oh well.  We got to my dad's house and I realized the only thing I had eaten all day was half a piece of french toast and it was after 4pm.  I was a little hungry, but considering I am 5 1/2 months pregnant you would think I was starving.  I had a few pita chips with jalapeno hummus and some hot apple cidar.  Dinner time - I opted to just eat the sides and not worry about making myself a main course.  I had my soup, salad, green bean casserole, mac and cheese, ambrosa, and sweet potato casserole.  I couldn't finish my dinner and I thought I was going to pop.  I did manage to get a little dessert in me (the one I made).

Friday - I woke up feeling ok, but definitely not hungry.  I got up with Hope at 8am (thank you child for sleeping in) and let Adam sleep in a little.  I talked to my sister and she was nearby doing her Black Friday shopping.  Adam got up and I left to meet her and do some shopping.  I ate a biscuit leftover from Thanksgiving with some butter like spread on it and was off.  I shopped until 1:00pm and came home.  Wasn't very hungry but ate some vegetarian stuffing my dad made just for me for lunch.  Couldn't get a lot down, but I tried.  At 4:30pm, I was on the couch again in pain and now very nauseous.  I didn't know what was happening but I didn't feel well at all.  Couldn't eat dinner at all so Adam made a run to buy my saltines and ginger ale.  I did manage to eat a few crackers and drink most of the ginger ale.

Saturday - I couldn't do much, but I did call the on call OB and ask her what was going on.  I was pretty sure nothing was going on with the baby, but you just never know.  She said it could be acid reflux, so Adam was back at the store talking to the pharmacist.  He recommended a double dose of pepcid twice a day.  I had my first dose with breakfast and then around 3pm, I was on the couch again.  I finally went upstairs and was able to fall asleep for a little while (I didn't want to take my second dose so early).  Adam's last regular season football game wasn't on tv here so we had decided to go out to watch it.  I took my second dose right before we left and felt ok, but not sure if I wouldn't have if I didn't.  I didn't eat too much, snacked on Hope's grilled cheese and fries and Adam's nachos, but came home early to put little Hope to bed (and myself). 

Sunday - Well so far, my stomach has been ok.  But with my lack of an appetite, I have such little energy to play with Hope and get jobs done around the house.  A quick search online looks like the baby is up in my stomach region and squashing it.  Awesome!  I am not even 6 months pregnant and already Junior is giving me pains.  I have been able to get some cereal down this morning and my stomach is ok, not great, but at least I am not on the couch.

So my Thanksgiving has been less than desirable.  I want it all back so I can enjoy it more.  I think I am probably the only pregnant woman who actually lost weight over the holiday.  Has anyone had this happen to them?  What is it?  Does it pass quickly?  Is it acid reflux (sorry I have never had acid reflux so I have no idea what it would feel like).  All I know is that at times, it's severe pain.  HELP!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment