Thursday, July 21, 2011

Workouts and Cooking

My workouts last week went pretty well.  I was hoping to get some yoga in on Monday, but only ended up getting 20 minutes into it when I just wasn't feeling it.  I did better this week.  :)  I also reached 21 miles total of running last week.  My first week over 20 miles, so I was proud to see that I am slowing adding more miles while still continuing to play tennis at least once a week.  A little extra cross training should help out as well.  Here is how last week's workouts went

Monday:  Yoga (20 minutes)
Tuesday:  Running outside with the double JS (5.08 miles), abs (mostly planks)
Wednesday:  30 minute HIIT with an extra 5 minute cool-down (3.51 miles total)
Thursday:  Abs, push-ups
Friday:  5 mile tempo"ish" run, one mile warm-up, then 0.5 mile at 7.2-7.5mph followed by 0.25 mile at 6.5, this continued for the next 4 miles and then a 0.3 mile cool-down, incline at 1%, legs workout (squats, lunges, step-ups)
Saturday:  Easy run outside alone (oh, how I enjoy the peace and quiet), 7.22 miles averaging 9:32mph pace
Sunday: Rest

Total running miles:  21.11

Cooking
We have also done some good ole cooking at the house.  Earlier in the month, we picked blueberries and then the little lady woke up super early one morning so we made blueberry muffins.


 I didn't have any sour cream, so I had to tweak my previous posted recipe.



Rain also interrupted our afternoon plans last week, so I decided to make Runblondie's Cauliflower Chocolate Chip muffins.  We changed up the recipe a little, but not much (subbed in sugar for splenda and halfed the chocolate chips and added in some cocoa nibs).

Another yum!  If you haven't tried these, you are missing out.

Then, Monday morning started the craziness.  The little man was in a mood and because of all his rolling over (both tummy to back and back to tummy), we are having to wean him off the baby straight-jacket (aka The Miracle Blanket).  This has been a miracle for us for both kids as far as sleeping those first few months. 


But between him rolling over and breaking free from it on a nightly basis, we knew it was time to wean.
So after Monday daytime was rough, we had a terrible night with several waking by the little man.  I felt awful (but still ran, go me) on Tuesday so I didn't do my typical menu planning before heading to the farmer's market.  Once there, I grabbed some fingerling potatoes and snap beans (thinking of 2 different dinners for these), but neither was going to work for Tuesday night.  I wanted something comforting.  That brings me to the cheese section of the farmer's market.  Now since having the little man, I have limited my dairy intake considerably for 2 reasons, 1) I have seen where people have seen increased energy by eliminating dairy from their diet and having 2 small kids, I need all the energy I can get, 2) calorie restriction to lose the baby weight, i.e. not having cheese on my sandwiches reduces my calorie intake without having to think about it (I switched to almond milk a while back during pregnancy).  Well it hit me like a ton of bricks, I wanted to make homemade mac and cheese.  So I grabbed almost one pound of extra sharp white cheddar (from WI) and a little over a half a pound of gruyere cheese.  That was over $11 of cheese just for one dinner.  I didn't have a specific recipe in mind so I googled gruyere mac and cheese and found one from Barefoot Contessa. I pretty much followed this recipe to a T, except I had 4 cups of cheddar and 2 cups of gruyere.  It was awesome!!!
It was so good, but I had to be careful not to eat too much because it was very rich and my little tummy is not used to such things anymore.  It made me feel better even though Tuesday night was just as bad as Monday as far as sleep.  Luckily, Wednesday night was better.

Do you have any go to recipes or foods you turn to? 

How is the summer workouts treating you?

No comments:

Post a Comment