Friday, August 26, 2011

Best Vegan Pesto

Well the little guy has some really bad gas when I eat dairy, so I am back off of dairy.  So I have been playing around with some recipes.  Here is one I love. 

Best Pesto Sauce/Spread

Ingredients
1 bunch basil (1 1/2 - 2 cups)
1/2 cup EVOO
1 cup raw almonds, toasted
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
5 cloves garlic, chopped
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
3 tablespoons low sodium veggie stock



Directions
1.  Toast almonds at 350 degrees for 5-10 minutes.
2.  Throw almonds into the food processor first, and chop.  I like to do this first because it gets harder when you have all the other ingredients in there.
3.  Throw in the rest of the ingredients and combine.

The finished product is pretty thick, so if you like it a litlte thinner, just add more veggie stock.  I like mine thick so I can use it as a spread for sandwiches.  I thin it out with pasta water when I use it with pasta.

Today, this was a little more of a pain for me, because I have a Junior food processor.  My blender has broken.  Any recs on which one to get?  

No comments:

Post a Comment