Monday, August 8, 2011

Spreads and dips

So my little guy has been very gassy lately and we are still trying to figure it out.  We first thought it was this (the gas) that had him up all night, but now we are not quite so sure.  Well the only thing that has changed about my diet in the past few weeks (since the gas has started to get worse) is dairy.  And of course this is a big trigger food for increased gas according to Kelly Mom.  So I am back to laying off dairy.  It's a mixed blessing for me really.  I know I feel better when I limit dairy, but I am finding it difficult to stay full (or get full) when I don't add cheese to my sandwiches or eat a nice big bowl of ice cream after the kids are in bed (and before the little guy is up again).  Since the little guy is not sleeping (I mean really not sleeping), I could use all I can get to feel good about myself (lack of sleep sucks). 

So I turned to some websites to look at some new dips and spreads I could use to snack on or put on my sandwiches to help bulk up my meals.  I found 2 to try. 

#1 - Basil Pesto Spread
This is basically the same recipe from Oh She Glows, but when I made it it came out more of a spread than a pasta sauce.  It is also a little salty for my taste, so I would cut down on the salt next time.  I do like the fact that a can of beans are in there.  Nice protein/fiber kick.

Ingredients
1/4 cup dry roasted salted almonds
1 T EVOO
1.5 cups basil, packed
2 cloves of garlic, grated through micro plane
1 can cannelloni beans, drained and rinsed
1 T water
2 T nutritional yeast
3 T lemon juice (I didn't have fresh lemons, so I used the concentrate)
3/4 t salt (too much, next time I will use 1/4 t)


Rachael Ray method for mincing garlic so you don't have chunks

Remember to check the other side of the plane to scrape off all of the garlic
Directions
Pulse the almonds first to chop up. 
Add rest of the ingredients and process to desired consistency.
(For those of you who noticed, this recipe started in the blender, and then it broke on me, so I finished in the food processor.  Any blender recs?)

Recipe #2 - Roasted Eggplant Spread
Now this is one that came from Barefoot Contessa my friend told me about.  I pretty much followed this one to a T, with minimal changes. 

Ingredients
1 medium eggplant (I did not peel)
2 red bell peppers
1 1/2 small red onions, peeled
2 garlic cloves, grated
3 T EVOO
1 1/2 t salt
1/2 t freshly ground black pepper
2 T dry white wine (veggie stock will work too)
1 T tomato paste

Directions
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Cut the eggplant, bell pepper, and onion into 1-inch cubes. Toss them in a large bowl with the garlic, olive oil, salt, and pepper.

Spread them on a baking sheet. Roast for 45 minutes, until the vegetables are lightly browned and soft.

After taking them out (I forgot to turn them), pour wine over veggies to scrape bits off of bottom of the pan.
Place the vegetables in a food processor, add tomato paste, and pulse to disered consistency. 

Both spreads were so good, that I put one on each of my bagel halves for a very yummy sandwich.
(Sorry, not a pretty picture)

Any tips to staying full and satisfied?

Look at those tired eyes.  Still a cutie!


2 comments:

  1. The spreads look great! I have no tips for staying full / I am sleep deprived and pretty much a bottomless pit myself these days. I hope it is just having a newborn, not sleeping well, and breastfeeding? all that takes so much energy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to taking all your energy!

    ReplyDelete