Thursday, January 27, 2011

A meal for both meat and veggie eaters

I saw the "Rachael Ray Show" a couple of weeks ago and one of her recipes caught my eye.  I knew I could make it a veggie version or at least a half veggie version. 

This is my take on the Rachael Ray's Roasted Sausage, Pumpkin Apples and Onions with Maple and Beer Pan Gravy:

Ingredients
  • 1/2 small butternut squash, peeled and cut into bite pieces (don't worry I will show you what to do with the other half)
  • 1 medium red onion, peeled and cut into wedges with root ends attached
  • 1 Gala apple, quartered, core trimmed away
  • Squeeze of lemon juice
  • Salt and pepper
  • Freshly grated nutmeg
  • 4 links bratwurst or other sausage of choice (I did 2 veggie and 2 chicken sausage links)
  • Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), for liberal drizzling
  • 1.5 tablespoons butter
  • 1 tablespoons flour
  • 1/4 cup beer
  • 3/4 cups veggie stock
  • 1/8 cup pure maple syrup
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce


Directions

Pre-heat oven to 425°F.
In a large bowl, combine squash, onions and apples with lemon juice, salt, pepper, and a little freshly grated nutmeg.
Add sausages and dress everything with a layer of EVOO, about 3 tablespoons to coat. Arrange on large baking sheet and roast 30-40 minutes.
Heat butter in small pan over medium heat. Whisk in flour for 1 minute then add beer and reduce half a minute more. Whisk in stock, syrup and soy sauce, add some coarse black pepper and let thicken a few minutes more to coat spoon.
Serve roasted sausages and squash doused with gravy.

This is before going into the oven.  ***Note:  I took the other half of the butternut squash and put some maple syrup, EVOO, and salt on it and roasted it as well.  I made 2 butternut squash salads during the week that were very yummy (spinach, roasted butternut squash, goat cheese, dried cranberries, bell pepper, and a light poppyseed dressing).


My sauce reducing.  If you really want a lot of sauce, consider doubling the recipe.  We did not have enough to "douse" our meal with this gravy.


After coming out of the oven, and ready to be plated.


I paired this dinner with a nice side spinach salad.  It was a pretty well received meal by everyone, although I was not a huge fan of the veggie sausage I had.  I think I will try a different brand next time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment