Saturday, February 19, 2011

I fought the run . . .

And the run won.  Yesterday, I had set out for a run outside with the jogging stroller.  We were going to run to the library, get some books and come back.  There are several routes to get to the library, but I thought we would do the longer hilly neighborhood route on the way there, and then the more direct flat route (on a busier street) on the way back, so 2/3 of my run would be complete before we got to the library.  Well being 8 months pregnant and pushing the jogging stroller up some of these crazy hills, well let's just say it was bad.  It was embarrassing.  I must have looked pretty funny at the passersby.  I was pretty spent afterwards too (3.6 miles total btw).  It really got me thinking.  When do I call it quits on running during pregnancy.  I only have a few more weeks left.  Do I keep on going or do I change it up and just walk or do the walk/run thing?  I feel so privileged to have been able to run for this long.  With Hope, I had to stop all workouts at 26 weeks, so be able to run at 8 months is great.  But my energy has taken a dive in the past couple of weeks and I haven't really compensated for that.  At night, I just hit a wall and can't do as much as I used to.  My dinners have not been impressive.  I feel like I am in new territory with this whole exercising late in pregnancy thing and I am not sure when enough is enough.  Thoughts?  Advice? 

4 comments:

  1. No advice... but pretty cool you can still run at 8 months. I say go for it till the end if you are feeling up to it. (Never been pregnant so really wth do I really know.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl for you to even attempt to run at this point in your pregnancy is impressive! Don't beat yourself up about it. Not much longer until you'll beat the run again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the pep talk ladies. I took a rest day yesterday and am ready to go again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I say bravo, job well done Jaime! You even ran a race well into the second trimester.

    Some women run up until they day they deliver. I will never understand how that's even possible. It is SO much weight to be carrying the last few weeks. Enjoy walks with Hope and some elliptical time if you can sneak away to the gym. You've done an awesome job.

    ReplyDelete