Monday, February 7, 2011

To foam roll or not to foam roll

That is the question. 



I was thinking about asking for one of these for my birthday (which is next month), but I wasn't sure I would use it or what qualities to look for in a foam roller.  I was thinking it might help me out since my runs will be a bit crazy with 2 small children (yikes, did I just write that), and I thought it might help me with recovery.  So my questions are:

1.  Do you use a foam roller?  Why or why not?

2.  Which one do you have and why?

3.  If I get one, what do I need to look for in one?

Please let me know your thoughts!

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I have a foam roller. I got one because it was recommended by my Physical Therapist for a back issue I'm having or will have forever - spondolysis - a crack in my L5 spine. :(

    I use the foam roller to looser my piriformis (sp?) and IT band. Boy, am I tight! And wow! Foam roller HURTS!

    I got one at Sports Authority... they only had red which I believe is harder than the blue ones. The harder the better really... but the more painful also.

    Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When my calves are tight I will roll them out....using a piece of pool noodle I sawed off. Gets the job done for $1.68, lol.

    I can't bring myself to pat $20-30 for a piece of foam, despite all it's merits.

    However, gifts are something you normally wouldn't buy for yourself, so why not? People give good revies about The Stick too.

    ReplyDelete