Friday, August 21, 2009

Another way to use overripe bananas

Make muffins. I have been making bread, but I thought muffins would be a nice change, and that way they are already portioned out nicely. I had this recipe in my book, so I thought I would try it. I will have to say that the original recipe did not have walnuts in it, but I like a little crunch so I thought I would add those in. They turned out very good and are a great little mid morning snack if you need one. The recipe is as follows:

Ingredients
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup white flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup mashed bananas (I used 2 medium sized bananas)
1/4 cup sugar
1 large egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup applesauce
1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts (cooled)

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Grease muffin pan or line with paper muffin liners.
In medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together.
In separate bowl, combine banana, sugar, egg and vanilla extract.
Blend until well mixed.
Add applesauce.
Slowly combine dry mixture to banana mixture.
Blend well.
Fold in walnuts.
Scoop batter into prepared muffin cups.
Bake 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
Let cool before serving.
Makes 12 Servings


Now it says it makes 12, but I only got 11 out of them.

If you can get 12 muffins then the nutritional analysis is as follows per muffin:

106 calories
3.6 grams fat
16 grams carbs
1 gram fiber
3 grams protein

If you get 11 muffins then it's:

116 calories
4 grams fat
17.6 grams carbs
1.1 grams fiber
3.3 grams protein.


If you eliminate the walnuts, the muffins are virtually fat free, but I like the crunch.

1 comment:

  1. These looks great! have you made the banana soft serve yet?

    ReplyDelete