Wednesday, October 20, 2010

More dessert, but a little healthier

Well pregnancy insomnia has plagued me again.  I have been up since 3:15am (to pee of course) and have been up ever since.  Now my alarm goes off in 45 minutes so I doubt I will be sleeping again tonight.  Urgh!

So I figured I would do a quick post on some more desserts I have been eating recently.  We all know it's apple season (yeah).  My grandmother went up to North Georgia a couple of weeks ago and brought back some apples and gave us a few (we just went last weekend and I will post about that when I get those pictures uploaded).  So I decided to introduce Hope to Baked Apples.  This is something my mom introduced me to a long time ago and I doctored it up some since then.  It's pretty easy and very fast.

You start with your apple, chopped up in a bowl.  Here I am using a Mutsu apple, but really anyone you like will work.

Next I added 2 teaspoons of Earth Balance (or butter if you prefer), a handful of raisins and a dash of cinnamon.  Two minutes in the microwave (or until apples become soft) and that's it.  I then added some Kashi GoLean Crunch, because I like a little crunch in everything I eat and a splash of agave nectar and here is my finished product.


Hope was not impressed with the idea of cooked fruit (like her father), but I loved it!  A nice way to finish off the end or would make a great snack.  Yum!

3 comments:

  1. Mmmm...this looks good to me too; especially with some granola or cereal or something crunchy. Gonna have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum. I can't add the go-lean because I'll want to eat the whole box. But the apple with agave and cinnamon, YUM!!! I'll try this tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, so is it bad I've made this twice since I posted that comment yesterday. Once as an afternoon snack and once as lunch today.

    Here is my take on it.

    Yesterday I made it as you stated in the recipe. It was good, but I didn't really like the addition of earth balance. It was seriously the second time I've ever used earth balance. I just didn't eat "butter" when I went vegan.

    Today, I nixed the earth balance and instead added a sliced banana before I popped it into the microwave. I also forgot the raisins. After I let it cool, I added chopped walnuts, more cinnamon and agave.

    YUM!!!! Try it that way. It was delish!

    ReplyDelete