Friday, October 15, 2010

Vegetarian BLT

I was reading my usual blogs, and ran across this.  What?  A vegetarian BLT or an ELT as she puts it.  My mouth was watering just thinking about it.  Unfortuantely, I didn't have an eggplant in the fridge so I had to wait a few days before I could try this out.  But I don't have a dehydrator, so I had to do some more searching around the internet and also what are the best ingredients for they marinade if you are going to bake the eggplant.  After some searching, I was ready to go. 

Eggplant Bacon

Ingredients
1 medium eggplant, peeled, thinly sliced
1/2 T salt
1 1/2 T Agave Nectar or maple syrup
2 T Soy sauce or Braggs Liquid Aminos (I used soy sauce)
2 T Apple Cidar Vinegar
1 t chili powder
1/2 t paprika
1/2 t cumin powder (optional)

Directions
Combine all ingredients and then throw in the eggplant.  Marinate for at least 30 minutes to overnight. 
Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.  Do not let it burn. 

My medium eggplant after I cut the top off.  Mine might have been a little bigger than a medium, but it worked with no problems.

My eggplant - peeled and thinly sliced.  

My eggplant in the marinade.  I have a nice little toy that helps with the marinating process.  I marinated my eggplant for 1 hour.  

My trick - cook the eggplant on the cooling wrack.  It helps to make sure the bottom does not get soggy.  I did put some cooking spray on the cooking wrack to make sure there was no sticking.

A closer look before the cooking.

After 20 minutes in the oven.  Personally, I think it could have been in there a little longer to give it a crispier texture.  It was still a little soft, but I wasn't going to fry them.  

So now, my eggplant bacon is done.  It's time for the sandwich.  Organic heirloom tomatoes were cheaper than the on the vine organic tomatoes, so I was all about trying out some heirloom tomatoes I hear so much about on the Food Network.  

I grabbed 2 slices of sprouted bread (toasted), some romaine, and some fat free mayo along with my eggplant bacon.  

All I can say is yummy!  Doesn't it look so good.  

Whether you are a vegetarian or not, this is a great sandwich.  And much healthier than a real BLT.  Go ahead - give it a try. 

No comments:

Post a Comment