I found this recipe in my Vegetarian Times magazine and it was a vegan creamy pasta recipe, so I thought I would give it a try. I made a few tweaks to the recipe to have to work for our family (aka we like a lot of sauce).
After the chopping and the shredding
The sauce coming together
The pasta and sauce combined, yum!
Creamy Tomato Jalapeno Pasta
adapted from Vegetarian Times
- 3 roma tomatoes (about 1.5 cups), diced
- 1 Jalapeno, chopped (I only used 1/2, but it wasn't very hot, so next time I would use the whole)
- 1/2 cup vegan mozzarella cheese (or a monterey would work too)
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened soy milk
- 1 tablespoon vegan spread (Earth Balance and Smart Balance with Flax are both vegan)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 oz. pasta (we used angel hair tonight because that's what we had)
- Cook pasta according to packaging.
- While pasta is cooking, melt 1 tablespoon margarine in a large skillet over low heat.
- Mix in flour and whisk for 30 seconds.
- Add in soy milk and whisk until flour mixture is worked into the milk.
- Add in mozzarella cheese and stir until the cheese is melted.
- Add in tomatoes, jalapeno, salt, and pepper and stir to combine. Let simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add pasta to the sauce to combine.
I combined the pasta with a simple green salad and some homemade lemon garlic tahini dressing, which is also vegan (and delicious).