Friday, December 17, 2010

The easiest best way to win a bake off

I had these a couple of years ago and just about died when I found out exactly how easy the are to make.  They are called Oreo Truffles or Heaven in a Ball.  My sister used them at a work dessert bake off and won so I just made these for my work's dessert contest.  I got second, but people ate so many of mine, that they were gone before everyone could try them, so I think I could have won if I made more. 

Ingredients
  • 1 package of oreo's
  • 1 1/2 boxes of semi-sweet baking chocolate
  • 1 package of cream cheese (I use reduced fat)
  • 1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
  • 1/2 - 1 cup white chocolate chips

Directions
  1. Break up oreo's and place them in the food processor.  Process until it is a fine powder.  There should be no white.
  2. Place cream cheese in the mixer and then the oreo mixture.
  3. Mix until the cream cheese is well incorporated and again there is no white. 
  4. Take a small piece of the mixture and roll it into a ball and piece on a pan lined with wax paper.  This will probably make 3-4 dozen ball depending on how big you make them.  You will probably need 2 pans to get all the balls on with some space between them.
  5. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
  6. Break up the baking chocolate and melt the baking chocolate over a double boiler.  Melt slowly, and add the oil at any time.  Once just about melted, turn the heat to low and get out your balls out of the fridge.
  7. Dip 4-5 balls at a time and use 2 forks to get them out getting the excess chocolate off each ball.
  8. Place back on the lined pan and return to the refrigerator for another 30 minutes.
  9. Now, if you want to get fancy, you need to melt the white chocolate in the microwave (microwave for 15-30 seconds at a time and then stir until melted). 
  10. Place melted white chocolate in a sandwich baggie and cut off the corner, but just a little bit.  You want the opening to be very small.
  11. Get out the balls out the fridge again and then decorate the balls with the melted white chocolate.
  12. Back in the fridge for another 30 minutes.
  13. Enjoy!  I know they take a little time, but overall, it's an easy recipe and they are devine!
Broken up oreo's in the food processor

All processed, see no white

The cream cheese in the mixer, room tempature makes it a little easier, but it doesn't have to be

All of the oreo mixture and the cream cheese, before mixing

All mixed up, again no white anymore

Rolled up into balls and ready for the first refrigeration

My baking partner helping me dip them into the baking chocolate (love you sweetie)

After they are dipped into the chocolate and ready to go back into the refrigerator

I put little swirls of white chocolate just to go over the top.

My baking partner wanted to do more, so we toasted some almonds and make almond butter in the food processor.  Bunny helped her out.

No comments:

Post a Comment