Friday, July 31, 2009

Cookies and Hummus?

So since we have been back from vacation it is time to stock up the fridge again. Adam is always in a rush in the mornings and usually eats his breakfast in the car while on the way to work. He quickly grew tired of Zone and Cliff bars, plus they are very processed, so he hated to start his morning everyday with that. I had been trying all sorts of recipes for him, and have finally landed on one. I got this recipe from friend and Adam really seems to like it. They are called Breakfast Cookies. I made them once before and they seemed to do the trick so I have repeated the process. Now I have changed up the dried fruit to keep him guessing, and I store them in the freezer, so he (or I for him) can just pull it out and zap it in the microwave before he leaves for work. Here is the recipe I followed:

Ingredients
Nonstick cooking spray
1 large banana, mashed (1/2 cup)
1/2 cup chunky natural peanut butter
1/2 cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup nonfat dry milk powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup dried cranberries or blueberries

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat two cookie sheets with cooking spray; set aside. In a large bowl, stir together banana, peanut butter, honey, and vanilla. In a small bowl, combine oats, flour, milk powder, cinnamon, and baking soda. Stir the oat mixture into the banana mixture until combined. Stir in dried fruit.

Using a 1/4-cup measure, drop mounds of dough 3 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. With a thin metal or small plastic spatula dipped in water, flatten and spread each mound of dough to a 2 3/4-inch round, about 1/2-inch thick. Once baked, each cookie will be about 3-1/2 to 4 inches in diameter.

Bake, one sheet at a time, for 14 to 16 minutes or until browned. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely. Store in an airtight container or resealable plastic bag for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 2 months; thaw before serving.

And here is how they turned out.



Ok, so while those were baking off, I thought I would make some hummus. Now I used to buy hummus a lot, because we eat a good bit of it, but it's expensive (we like the good stuff). So I tried a recipe I found online and it was ok, but not great. So I found another recipe from Cook's Illustrated. This recipe turned out much better and I can't wait to dip into this hummus.

2 comments:

  1. Yum! Both look great! I am going to have to check out that hummus recipe - it looks really creamy and mine never turn out that creamy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW .. will you post that hummus recipe I just went to check and have to join up to see the recipe! tosha25italia@yahoo.com (n.d. lil runner)

    ReplyDelete