Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Banana Nut Oat Bread


So, I almost never buy ingredients to make something like this, but I had some bananas that were getting ready to turn, and I hate to waste food, so I thought I would make some banana bread. I have several variations on this recipe. I usually use half regular flour and half whole wheat flour, but I was all out of whole wheat flour, so I thought I would try it with some oats in it. I try to keep the ingredient list short, natural, and nutritious. Here is the recipe for this one.

Ingredients
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 quick cooking oats
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3 bananas, ripe
2 eggs
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (these have heart healthy omega 3's in them which is why I chose walnuts instead of pecans)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Mash bananas and mix in eggs in a bowl.
In a separate bowl, mix all dry ingredients (flour, oats, sugar, baking powder and salt).
Combine both bowls and mix all ingredients together.
Fold in walnuts.
Pour into a greased 9x5 inch pan.
Cook for 45-50 minutes.

I keep the portions small and try to get some protein with it like greek yogurt or plain yogurt. I consider this a treat and don't make it that often, but it's nice to change things up every once in a while. Adam is not a fan of banana bread so I plan to give half to my grandmother tomorrow when I see her. They will enjoy it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment